Forum
Everything beside train information: accommodation, travel literature, documents, money, security, tent, backpack, sleeping bag, shoes and other topics.

Rail maps

Postby emilschionning » 26 Nov 2010 - 11:44

Hi.

I'm planning to do a Interrail this summer. I read somewhere that it is a good idea to have a map of the european rail network with you. Shall I buy one of these and if that's the case, which one should I buy.

- Emil :)
emilschionning
standard

NS International
NS International
Special prices from and to the Netherlands with NS International. Eurostar, Thalys, ICE. Search tickets here!
railcc is official partner.

Rail maps

Postby Wesley » 26 Nov 2010 - 12:11

It may differ where you buy your Interrail pass, but when I bought one in the Netherlands, I got a fairly good map for free with my Interrail pass. Of course, not all railway lines were drawn on it, but you got a good overview of Europe's railway network. But again: if you buy it elsewhere, you might not get the map... I have no experience with that.
Wesley

Rail maps

Postby Robert_Antonio » 26 Nov 2010 - 12:43

The simple but good and extensive railway maps online you can find at www.bueker.net/trainspotting/maps.php. They also have updated information which railways provide passenger traffic - at commercially distributed paper maps this information is often outdated or missing.
Robert_Antonio
standard

Rail maps

Postby Peter » 26 Nov 2010 - 13:48

Hi.

The map mentioned by Wesley is included at every InterRail Global pass - it doesn't matters where you buy it.
It is a very simple one.

If you want a paper map with you, think about the one of Thomas Cook:
https://en.rail.cc/train-schedules

More expensive and with a lot of details is this one:
www.europeanrailwayatlas.com

But I recommend you the first one for your rail trip, the second one is too detailed and more for "rail freaks" than for a normal traveler. ;)

Of course the online maps at bueker.net are the most updated ones.

Peter :)
Peter
administrator

Rail maps

Postby emilschionning » 27 Nov 2010 - 19:26

I think I will use the Thomas Cook edition then!
emilschionning
standard

Return to Planning and organization