English      Croatia    
EN    DE
Travel by train in CROATIA. Train ticket, Interrail and Eurail information. Rail travel routes in Croatia.

Identity cards and Croatia

Postby CantThinkOfAny » 22 May 2012 - 21:28

I don't have a passport. I do have a Finnish identity card. It is a valid travel document across the EU. I have used it on planes to Berlin and London.

However, Croatia is not a EU member, nor part of any treaty that would make an identity card a valid travel document. However, the Croatian ministry of interior has, as far as I can read from their page:, decided that identity card IS a valid travel document there.

Has anyone tested this? I would prefer not getting a passport, as it is rather costly.

Eurail. Buy your official Eurail Pass here. FREE shipping possible!
Buy your official Eurail pass (click here right before you order!) via our partner link to You get FREE shipping, the official Eurail pass and your free PLUS-profile on railcc for extensive support for your Eurail trip.
railcc is official partner of

Postby Flo » 23 May 2012 - 15:32

I have not tested it but I think you can rely on that information; I found similar info here as well > :)
If you're in doubt, I'd recommend to contact the Croatian embassy as they should know best.

Flo 8)

Postby nltrainer » 24 May 2012 - 13:57

no need for that- ANY ID from EU is also accepted for Croatia and since this year also Serbije. Not sure about Bosna/Hercegovina. Out of the EU also for NOrge and CH=Schweiz=Switserland and iceland.

Return to Croatia